Monday, September 10, 2007

How To Write an E-Mail

I live overseas and I use e-mail for the majority of my communication needs. I also receive some really, really poorly written e-mails from people I hold in high esteem. STOP IT! The Wired How-To Wiki provides the following guidelines for writing e-mail, as does the blog of Guy Kawasaki (VC, evangelist, etc.). Though I agree with most of what is written in both of these articles, I'm not sure I agree with all of it. Feel free to comment with your preferred e-mail style tips.

Click here to read the Wired article.

Guy Kawasaki has what I view to be more complete, more useful tips for e-mailing, which you can find here and should read immediately if you ever plan to send another e-mail. I especially like "add a good signature," which a lot of people don't. I want to know who you are instead of having to try to find your organization's Website, find the contacts page, and hope and pray to Jesus that you're on there. COME ON!

1 comment:

foodstr2 said...

We have a website that "repairs" the English in websites, emails and, yes (choke) ads, and makes them understandable to average Americans/Brits. (An ad can cost as little as two bucks to fix.) There are samples of our before-and-after work on our website,

http://www.LanguageFix.com

This service is for non-English speakers as well as those who "slept through" English class.

Things will start happening for you when you can get your point across....

We are NOT translators. We take the English work you've done and make it understandable to those versed in English. We can also act as a go-between for your email conversations with English speakers.

If this post is inappropriate here, can you direct me to a blog where there's a better fit?

I appreciate it!

Bruce Hopkins
"The Fixer"
http://www.LanguageFix.com