Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Seoul Arts Center

So sue me, I've been lazy about posting. Here's a gratuitous number of photos to make up for it. About a week ago, a friend and I went to the Seoul Arts Center, conveniently located on the orange line at Nambu Bus Terminal Station.

The Seoul Arts Center is an imposing complex of arts-related buildings. It includes a design museum, a calligraphy museum, an opera house, and I don't know what else. We originally went to see a free exhibit of Eames furniture, but it was disappointing. So, after seeing one room of furniture that I've seen before, off we went to look around the complex.

This is the first building as viewed from the very busy street. There are posters for upcoming exhibits and other events taking place somewhere in the complex. Notice the mountains in the background; the complex is basically built into the side of a mountain.

This is the main museum building. I don't know what the chimney thing is, but if my TV watching hasn't lead me astray (which it never has before), the design is based on a traditional Korean hat. See below:

Is that uncanny or what?



I really enjoy this sculpture of people impaled on pointy sticks. I would guess it's about war or suffering, but the title was in Korean so I'm not entirely sure.

Before I conclude this post, here is a picture (a very, very bad picture) of me with Captain Snake Neck Facet Face. Notice my excellent posture and wearing of jeans with complete disregard for the fact that it was about 90 degrees and 100% humidity (not an exaggeration; I was completely soaked). I'll work on posting more often.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess I have not really checked you blog in a hot minute. the apartment looks on the nice side, good going. The city pics are awesome. I am thinking I need to get my ass to S Korea soon. I'll be checking out flight later and see what the damage is going to be.

Unknown said...

and ... as I looked back at my post it looks like a 6 year old wrote it. Will you be my editor?

Corey said...

For enough money, I'll be anything you want.

Missy said...

Corey, Glad to see some photos of the area. It's nice that you're explaining a lot about the culture and I really enjoy reading about it. I saw Cindy in Philly two weeks ago. I hope all is well.